Pages

Friday 24 July 2020

Kites were not always used for recreational purposes...(Matariki Kites)

Did you know that kites were used to mark the start of matariki? Well I didn't know that. If you hadn't known that then kites were used by maori to mark the start of matariki. It was believed to be a connecter between the physical world and the spirit realm. Read on to find out more. By the way, if you don't know me, I am Albin from YMS. Ok now that the introduction is over, let's get into it. 

So as you know kite flying is used to mark the start of matariki. It was used by maori. Nowadays it is called 'manu aute'. Manu means both kite and bird and aute refers to the cloth covering the kite. Anyway here is a dlo that I created about matariki kites.  




One more thing. Did you guys know that international kite festival is held in India? I didn't know (even though I used to live in India for about 10yrs.)

Anyway that is it for today guys. Hope you enjoyed it. If there is anything I missed out, please let me know. 


#MATARIKI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.